HMS Conqueror (1855)
HMS Conqueror (1855)

Royal NavyVessels

Browse RN vessels: A; B; C; D; E - F; G - H; I - L; M; N - P; Q - R; S; T - U; V - Z; ??
NameConqueror (1855)Explanation
TypeSecond rate TypeTwo-decker
Launched2 May 1855   
HullWooden Length240 feet
PropulsionScrew Men930
Builders measure3225 tons   
Displacement5720 tons   
Fate1861 Last in commission1861
Class  Class (as screw)Conqueror
Ships book   
2 May 1855Launched at Devonport Dockyard.
30 November 1855
- 30 June 1856
Commanded (from commissioning at Plymouth) by Captain Thomas Matthew Charles Symonds, Channel squadron
12 July 1856
- 22 July 1859
Commanded by Captain Hastings Reginald Yelverton, Mediterranean
22 July 1859
- December 1859
Commanded by Captain William John Cavendish Clifford, Mediterranean
15 November 1859
- 29 December 1859
Commanded by Captain James Willcox, Plymouth
2 January 1860
- 29 December 1861
Commanded by Captain Edward Southwell Sotheby, Channel squadron, then (November 1861) transporting troops to Mexico, together with Sans Pareil and Donegal (until wrecked off Rum Key, Bahamas, due to navigation error)
21 March 1862Paid off (that is to say, her books were closed).
Extracts from the Times newspaper
We 5 December 1855The new screw steam ship Conqueror, 100, was commissioned at Devonport on Monday by Lieutenant Edey, for Captain Symonds.
We 28 September 1859The following is the distribution of the Mediterranean fleet at Malta:- Screw steamships of the Line.- The Marlborough, 131 (flagship of Vice-Admiral Fanshawe), on her way to Gibraltar, left Malta on the 15th of September; the Hannibal, 91 (flagship of Rear-Admiral Mundy), coast of Sicily; the Conqueror, 101, Gibraltar; the St. Jean d'Acre, 101, coast of Sicily; the Orion, 91, Gibraltar; the Princess Royal, 91, Gibraltar; the Renown, 91, Malta; the Victor Emmanuel, 91, Gibraltar; the Exmouth, 90, Naples; the London, 90, coast of Sicily; the Brunswick, 80, coast of Sicily; the Centurion, 80, Gibraltar; and the Cressy, 80, left Malta on the 5th of September. Steam Frigates.- The Euryalus, 51, Piraeus of Athens; the Liffey, 51, Piraeus of Athens; the Doris, 32, left Malta on the 13th of September; and the Terrible, 21, Naples. Steam Corvettes.- The Racoon, 22, Corfu; the Cadmus, 21, Malta; and the Vulture, 6, Morocco coast. Steam Sloops.- The Gannet, 11, Piraeus of Athens; the Argus, 6, Malta; the Intrepid, 6, Constantinople; the Recruit, 6, Malta; the Scourge, 6, Malta; the Assurance, 4, left Malta on the 31st of August; the Coquette, 4, Marseilles; the Lapwing, 4, Gibraltar; the Osprey, 4, Corfu; the Vigilant, 4, Venice; and the Wanderer, 4, Candia. Steam Gunboats.- The Growler, Gibraltar; and the Quail, Gibraltar. Steam Despatch-vessels.- The Banshee, 2, Malta; and the Caradoc, 2, Malta. Steam-tender.- The Boxer, 2, Malta. Steam Surveying-vessels.- The Medina, 4, Candia ; and the Tartarus, 4, Candia. Receiving-ship.- The Hibernia (flag of Rear-Admiral Codrington), Malta. Depot-ship.- The Africa, Gibraltar. Tugs.- The Hearty, Malta; and the Redpole, 2, Gibraltar. Sailing Gunboats.- The Azof, 2, Malta; and the Kertch, 2, Malta.
Ma 24 October 1859By the last accounts received at Malta the Marlborough, 131, bearing the flag of Vice-Admiral Fanshawe, the Commander-in-chief, with Rear Admiral Dacres on board as Captain of the Fleet; the Conqueror, 101; the Orion, 91; the Princess Royal; 91; the Renown, 91, steam-ships of the line; the Vulture, 6, steam frigate; the Scourge, 6, the Coquette, 4, and the Lapwing, 4, steam sloops; the Growler steam gunboat; the African depot ship; the Redpole steam tug were at Gibraltar, as well as the Edgar, 91, bearing the flag of Rear-Admiral Erskine, and the Neptune, 91, steamships of the line belonging to the Channel fleet. The Caesar, 90, the James Watt, 91, the Agamemnon, 91, steamships of the line, and the Virago, 6, steam sloop, were on their way to Gibraltar and the Mediterranean from England; and on her way to Malta from England and Gibraltar the Supply, 2, steam storeshlp. On her way to Gibraltar and England the Firebrand, 6, steam sloop. The Doris, 32, steam frigate, was at Tetuan, and the Quail steam gunboat at Tangier.
Ma 28 November 1859

MALAGA, Nov. 17.

The following details are from the Gibraltar Chronicle:-
"Three of Her Majesty's steamships that have been in our bay since the 24th of September will take their departure to-day for England. These ships are the Edgar, 91, bearing Rear-Admiral Erskine's flag, belonging to the Channel fleet; the Conqueror, 101, Captain Clifford; and the Centurion, 80, Captain Patey. The two latter having put in their time on the Mediterranean station will, we hear, be paid off on their arrival at Portsmouth.
" 1 o'clock.- The above ships have just left the bay."
Fr 23 March 1860The screw steamship Conqueror, 101, Capt. J. Willcox, C.B., belonging to the Channel squadron, is expected at Plymouth to repair, she being leaky abaft, near the sternpost.
Th 5 April 1860The Second Division of the Channel fleet, comprising the Edgar, 91, screw, Capt. James E. Katon, bearing the flag of Rear-Admiral of the Blue John E. Erskine; the Queen, 86, screw, Capt. C.F. Hillyar; the Algiers, 91, screw, Capt. G.W.D. O'Callaghan; the Mars, 80, screw, Capt. J.N. Strange; and the Mersey, 40, screw, Capt. H. Caldwell, C.B., steamed into Spithead from the Channel yesterday morning by the eastern entrance in the order named. The Edgar having anchored, each succeeding ship steamed to the westward of the flagship, and, rounding to, proceeded to their respective positions. The Queen took up the eastern berth of the line, a-head of the Edgar. To the westward of the Edgar the Algiers anchored, and the Mars took up the western berth. The four liners are thus moored in a line from south-east to north-west. The Mersey frigate brought up in deeper water on the outside of the line. Soon after the ships came in sight the customary salutes were exchanged between the Edgar, flagship of Rear-Admiral Erskine, and the Victory, flagship of the Commander-in-Chief, Vice-Admiral Bruce. The Sprightly and Pigmy steam tenders were despatched from the harbour to Spithead on the fleet's arrival.

Sails were unbent on Tuesday on board that portion of the Channel squadron which arrived in Plymouth Sound the same day from Lisbon, and measures are in progress for their immediate refitment. Those ships previously in the Sound sent up topgallantmasts and yards, and loosed sails to dry. The Conqueror, 101, Capt. Sotheby, steamed into Hamoaze and brought up off Keyham; she was appointed to go into dock yesterday (Wednesday).

Fr 25 May 1860The Channel fleet, consisting of the Conqueror, 101; the Donegal, 101; the Algiers, 91, the Aboukir, 91; the Trafalgar, 91; the Centurion, 80; the Mars, 80; and the Diadem, 32, left Portland harbour on Wednesday afternoon for a cruise in the Channel. The Blenheim, 60, is the only ship of war now at Portland.
Ma 25 June 1860The Channel squadron, after an anchorage of 15 days in St. Margaret's Hope, Firth of Forth, left its moorings on Saturday afternoon, and under canvass, with auxiliary steam power, proceeded down the Firth and stood out to sea. The squadron, in passing the narrow straits at Queensferry, proceeded in single line, the leading ships being the Royal Albert, 121, flagship of Vice-Admiral Sir C. Fremantle, the Mersey, 40-gun frigate, the Edgar, 91, flagship of Rear-Admiral Erskine, and the Donegal, 101, followed by seven other ships of the line and the Diadem frigate. The Greyhound corvette, 17, accompanied the Royal Albert as a tender. On passing Inchkeith, and getting into the outer bay of the Firth, the fleet formed in two lines, and stood out south-west in the direction of St. Abb's Head; the Royal Albert, the Donegal, the Aboukir, the Conqueror, and the Centurion, with the Greyhound forming the south line, and the Edgar, the Trafalgar, the Algiers, the Mars, the Diadem, and the Mersey, the north line. A number of steamers convoyed the fleet down the Firth, The public enthusiasm excited by the visit o£ the Channel squadron in the Forth can scarcely fall to give a stimulus to the service in the south-east of Scotland, where for many years a fleet of war-ships had not been seen; and great disappointment is felt that the fleet has not been able to make the tour of the north of Scotland and Ireland, as was anticipated. It was expected that the squadron would reach Yarmouth-roads yesterday afternoon.
Ma 2 July 1860On Saturday the Channel fleet arrived In Yarmouth Roads. The squadron, which has been engaged in target practice in the North Sea during the past week, consists of the Royal Albert, 120; Conqueror, 101; Donegal, 101; Algiers, 91; Edgar, 91; Aboukir, 91; Trafalgar, 91; Centurion, 80; Mars, 80; Mersey, 40; Diadem, 32; Ariadne, 26; and Flying Fish, 6. The fleet is not expected to remain in Yarmouth Roads more than three or four days, as it is to take part in a naval review before the departure of his Royal Highness the Prince of Wales for Canada.
Tu 10 July 1860



Vice-Admiral Sir Charles Fremantle's Channel squadron, consisting of the flagship Royal Albert, 121, Captain Henry J. Lacon; the Donegal, 101, Captain Henry Broadhead; the Aboukir, 90, Captain Douglas Curry; the Greyhound, 17, Commander Francis W. Sullivan; the Conqueror, 101, Captain Edward S. Sotheby, C.B.; the Trafalgar, 90, Captain Edward G. Fanshawe ; the Centurion, 8 0, Captain Henry G. Rogers, C.B.; the Edgar, 91, Captain James E. Katon; the Algiers, 91, Captain George W.D. O'Callaghan; the Mersey, 40, Captain Henry Caldwell, C.B.; and the Diadem, 32, Captain James H. Cockburn, under canvas only, with a smart breeze a little to the southward of east, hove in sight from Mount Wise at half-past 8 o'clock this morning in two lines. They then formed one line, and stood in for the port. At half-past 10 o'clock the ships wore in succession, and went away to the westward. Shortly after they came in sight more to the southward. Their funnels are up ready for use. The only ship likely to enter the Sound is the Diadem, which is said to be short of fu el. The Earl of Mount-Edgcumbe, in his steam yacht, near the Royal William Victualling-yard, is waiting the approach of the Prince of Wales. The Hero continues inside the Breakwater ready for sea, and arrangements are made for the expected departure of his Royal Highness to-morrow (Tuesday) morning. Her escort, the Ariadne, will probably take the Osborne in tow. The Flying Fish has gone on to Newfoundland.



Sir Charles Fremantle's squadron, which arrived off the port this morning, formed two lines, ranging about north and south, in the afternoon to receive the Royal yacht, which hove in sight at 7 o'clock, and was saluted by the Impregnable and other ships in Hamoaze. On rounding the west-end of the Breakwater the yardarms of the Hero, St. George, Emerald, and Ariadne, in the Sound, were manned, and the three last-named and the Plymouth Citadel saluted. At half-past 8, when the Prince left the yacht to join the Hero, the Emerald and the Citadel repeated the compliment. The weather is extremely fine, and thousands of the inhabitants were assembled on the heights.

Tu 11 September 1860


The fleet, having all got under way by about 8 a.m., stood out to sea from Milford Haven, and, having made an offing of about seven miles, the Osborne, which had previously joined, with the Lords of the Admiralty on board, made the signal for the fleet to form a double line. They accordingly broke into two divisions; the starboard one, consisting of the Royal Albert, 121; the Donegal, 101; the Conqueror, 101; the Mars, 80, and the Trafalgar, 91, was led by Vice-Admiral Sir Charles Fremantle, K.C.B., in the Royal Albert. The port division, under Rear-Admiral Erskine, in the Edgar, 91, which was leading, comprised also the Algiers, 91; the Aboukir, 91; the Centurion, 80; the Mersey, 40; and the Diadem, 32. This manoeuvre having been executed with great precision, the Osborne signalled for the fleet to make sail under easy canvass, followed by an order from the Admiral to bank up the fires. Having stood on thus for some time, the two divisions tacked in succession to the starboard, after which the order was given to form a single line of battle. This was effected by the starboard division standing on its course, and the port one tacking until they came into line, when they followed in the wake of their predecessors, an interval of two cables' length separating each ship. The concluding and most exciting manoeuvre of the day was then made by the whole getting orders to make all sail that could be done with safety, and running before the wind. Studdingsail booms were then run out, and every inch of canvass both alow and aloft that would draw was set. The order was then given to make for the nearest port, on which the fleet bore up for Milford Haven. The Osborne then steamed up to the Admiral's ship, and Rear-Admiral Pelham, C.B., hailed Vice-Admiral Sir Charles Fremantle, K.C.B., and expressed, on the part of his Grace the Duke of Somerset and the rest of the Lords, the extreme satisfaction they all felt, not only in the appearance of the fleet, but also in the admirable precision with which all the manoeuvres had that day been performed, and we believe Capt. Ramsay, C.B., the superintendent of Pembroke Dockyard, was commissioned to convey the above opinion in writing to the Admiral of the fleet. The Osborne then parted company, - the Royal Albert giving the Lords of the Admiralty a salute of 19 guns, which the Osborne acknowledged by dipping her ensign, after which she stood to the southward, it being their Lordships' intention to inspect some important works in progress at the Scilly Isles, and afterwards proceed to Devonport to inspect the dockyard at that place. Nothing could be more favourable than the weather; it was slightly hazy up to 8 o'clock a.m., when it cleared up, and a fine fresh breeze came from the north-east, which lasted up to 3 o'clock p.m., when it died away. The whole of the signalling was done by bunting, and not by Ward's new system, as was generally supposed that it would be, and the brilliant flags had a very pretty effect as rapidly repeated by every third ship. As the fleet entered the harbour the Admiral made the signal for all the ships to take up their old berths, and by 6 o'clock p.m., all were in their original positions.

The Lords of the Admiralty previous to leaving Pembroke-dock granted the employés the usual half-holyday for Saturday.

Th 13 September 1860Pursuant to orders received on Sunday last, the Channel fleet, consisting of the Royal Albert, 121, Capt. H.J. Lacon, flagship of Vice-Admiral Sir Charles Fremantle, K.C.B., commanding the Fleet; the Conqueror, 101, Capt. Edward S. Sotheby, C.B.; the Donegal, 101, Capt. Henry Broadhead; the Edgar, 91, Capt. James E. Katon, flagship of Rear-Admiral John E. Erskine; the Mars, 80, Capt. James F. Strange; the Trafalgar, 91, Capt. Edward G. Fanshawe; the Algiers, 91, Capt. George W.D, O'Callaghan; the Centurion, 80, Capt. Henry D. Rogers, C.B.; the Aboukir, 91, Capt. Douglas Curry; the Mersey, 40, Capt. Henry Caldwell, C.B.; and the Diadem, 32, Capt. James H. Cockburn, got steam up by daybreak on Tuesday last, and sailed from Milford Haven at about 10 o'clock a.m. They are bound for a cruise of three weeks or a month, and it is supposed will go round the Western Islands, after which they are to rendezvous at Torbay, previous to going into winter quarters. Mr Ward is on board the Admiral's ship with his new system of ocean telegraphs, which are to be thoroughly tried during the cruise. The fleet has been in Milford Haven for more than three weeks, and the conduct of the men has been most exemplary. The civil authorities have not had to interfere except in one or two exceptional cases of drunkenness, together with a few cases of the not very heinous crime of overstaying leave. Rumour has it that three or four vessels of the fleet are to winter at Milford. A more secure berth could not be found in any case.
Tu 18 September 1860The screw steamship Donegal, 101, Capt. Henry Broadhead, which arrived in Plymouth Sound on Saturday evening, as reported in The Times yesterday, was detached from the Channel squadron at daylight on Friday, in lat. 49 59 N., long. 7 45 W. From Tuesday morning, when the ships left Milford, to the time of detachment constant strong winds were experienced. On Wednesday morning, at 11 o'clock Vice-Admiral Sir Charles Fremantle signalled the ships to form line abreast and start afterwards in chase to windward. The Donegal shortly took the lead and at the end of the trial was some miles ahead of her competitors. The Edgar, 91, Capt. James E. Katon, was a good second; the Trafalgar, 90, Capt. Edward G. Fanshawe, third; and the Conqueror, 101, Capt. Edward S. Sotheby, C.B., bad fourth; the rest were nowhere. At 5 p.m, the signal for trial was recalled and signal given to form order of sail in two columns. On Thursday the wind increased to a strong gale; the squadron was under closereefed topsails and storm sails. On Friday morning, at 1 o'clock, the principal steering rope of the Donegal broke, which induced the Admiral to order her to Plymouth to have it replaced, although the could have remained at sea if necessary.
Fr 5 October 1860It is expected that the screw steamship Aboukir, 90, Captain Douglas Curry, which arrived in Plymouth Sound on Wednesday with the Royal Albert, the Conqueror, and the Centurion, will have to go up Hamoaze to be repaired. During the recent cruise the fleet has been engaged in the usual routine of naval evolutions, and the discipline of the ships has been fully tested. Under canvas only the Edgar is said to be the best. The Conqueror has been repeatedly complimented by Admiral Freemantle for her smart appearance and efficiency. Complaint is made that the Commercial Code of signals which has been recently introduced, and is of great value, appears to receive no proper attention from the merchant vessels met by the ships of the fleet. During the cruise Ward's night signals have been tested, and have proved very valuable. Admiral Bethune's signals were also tried; they are useful only at short distances.
The officers of the Steam Reserve Department of Woolwich Dockyard yesterday went down to Greenhithe for the purpose of accompanying Her Majesty's screw steam gunvessel Landrail, 5, Commander Wilson [should probably be Martin], down the measured mile, on a trial of her new engines, supplied by Mr. Humphreys, of Deptford. The trial having been perfectly satisfactory, the Landrail proceeded on her way to Portsmouth to join the Channel Squadron, and will ultimately proceed to the West Indies.
Sa 6 October 1860It is not expected that that portion of the Channel fleet at Plymouth will continue long in the Sound. The crews will most likely be paid down, and granted leave of absence; some have already obtained leave. All the ships are refitting. The Conqueror is completing with coal. The Centurion is receiving provisions, apparently for another cruise. On Tuesday night the watch on board the Conqueror observed flames in the midship part of the lower deck of the Centurion, which was lying near, and sent assistance immediately. By the time they arrived the fire had been discovered on board, the first to give the alarm being a seaman, who at the time was sleeping in his hammock. The flames were promptly subdued, but the firebell was kept ringing all night. The fire occurred close to the boilers, and one of the ship's beams is consi derably burnt. The cause is unknown, but it is supposed to have arisen from a naked candle having been placed in contact with some clothes hung to dry.
Sa 20 October 1860Vice-Admiral of the Blue Sir Charles Howe Fremantle, K.C.B., in command of the Channel squadron, is expected to return with the fleet to Portland to-morrow (Wednesday). The following is a list of the ships, guns, horse-power, and tons' burden, together with the names of the officers and number of men composing the fleet: - Vice-Admiral Sir C.H. Fremantle, K.C.B., Commander; Rear-Admiral J.B. Erskine, Second in Command; Rear-Admiral R.F. Stopford, Captain of the Fleet:-

◄Table scrolls horizontally►
ShipsGunsComplementHorse powerTonsCommanders
Royal Albert1211,0505003,726Capt H.J. Lacon
Donegal1019308003,245" H. Broadhead
Conqueror1009308003,265" E.S. Sotheby, C.B.
Edgar918606003,094" J.E. Katon
Trafalgar908605002,900" E.G. Fanshawe
Algiers918506003,340" G.W.D. O'Callaghan
Aboukir908304003,091" D. Curry
Centurion807504003,590" H.D. Rogers, C.B.
Mersey405941,0003,733" H. Caldwell, C.B.
Diadem324758002,475" J.H. Cockburn
Partridge2 60233Tender to Royal Albert.
We 7 November 1860Rear-Admiral Robert F. Stopford's port division of the Channel squadron, in Plymouth Sound, received orders on Monday evening to prepare for sailing yesterday (Tuesday) morning for Lisbon; and the ships were supplied by Mr. W.F. Collier, the Portuguese Vice-Consul, with bills of health for that city,- a course not frequently observed. They consist of the flagship Royal Albert, 12l, Capt. Henry D. Lacon, Conqueror, 101, Capt. E.S. Sotheby, C.B.; Donegal, 101, Capt. Henry Broadhead; Aboukir, 90, Capt. Douglas Curry; Centurion, 80, Capt. H.D. Rogers, C.B.; and Emerald, 51, Capt. Arthur Cumming. At an early hour yesterday (Tuesday) morning, they picked up their small bower anchors, and at 11 o'clock fires were lighted under the boilers of the Royal Albert and Aboukir. At 1 p.m. the ships were detained for despatches. At 2 the Conqueror, Centurion, and Donegal left the Sound under canvas, and the Royal Albert and Aboukir under steam. They would soon put out their fires, as the wind continues strong from the eastward. The Emerald hauled down her blue-peter at 11, and will not sail with the rest, but remain at Plymouth for the stragglers, of whom there are about 200 on shore without leave.
Fr 21 December 1860The flagship Royal Albert, 121, Capt. Henry Lacon; the Conqueror, 101, Capt. Edward S. Sotheby, C.B.; the Donegal, 101, Capt. Henry Broadhead; the Aboukir, 90, Capt. Douglas Curry; and the Emerald, 51, Capt. Arthur Cumming, which left Lisbon on the 10th inst., entered Plymouth Sound yesterday. They were under canvas until Monday, when steam was got up, in order to arrive by the time appointed. Fine weather was experienced until Wednesday evening, when a heavy squall carried away the Emerald's mainyard close off in the slings. The Centurion, 80, Capt. Henry B. Rogers, C.B., will remain up the Tagus until the arrival from Gibraltar of the St. Jean d'Acre, 101, Capt. Thomas P. Thomson, which she will supply with provisions, and then join the Channel squadron at Plymouth. The crews are all healthy.
Sa 22 December 1860The mainmast of the flagship Royal Albert, 121, at Plymouth, is said to have sustained damage on the passage out to Lisbon, owing to the mainstay having given way.
The ships in the Sound, belonging to the Channel squadron, discharged their powder yesterday morning. Admiral Stopford's ship, the Royal Albert, 121, Capt. Henry J Lacon; the Conqueror, 101, Capt. Edward S. Sotheby, C.B., and the Donegal, 101, Capt. Broadhead, went up Hamoaze; the Aboukir and the Emerald are likely to follow.
Tu 1 January 1861The port division of the Channel squadron will probably continue some time at Plymouth. The screw steamship Royal Albert, 121, 850-horse power, is in Hamoaze; Admiral Stopford and Capt. Lacon are both on leave, and so is a large portion of her crew, who were paid down on the 23d ult. Her mainmast, reported to be defective, is stripped, and ready for inspection this week. There is some gossip at Devonport about transferring her crew to the Howe, which carries the same number of guns, but has a superiority of 150 horses in her engines, which are of 1,000-horse power. The masts of the Howe are not yet on board. The crew of the screw steam-frigate Emerald, 51, Capt. Arthur B. Cumming, do not expect to leave Hamoaze before April. The Aboukir, 90, Capt. Douglas Curry, has, it is said, been ashore, and will therefore most likely be docked in Keyham steam-yard. The Conqueror, 101, Capt. Edward S. Sotheby, will be placed in dock on account of the defective condition of her valves. The Donegal, 101, Capt. Henry Broadhead, is also in Hamoaze. When in the Tagus a valuable seaman lost his life. He was one of the ship's corporals, and had been absent on duty by night. When alongside he took two lanterns in each hand, stepped from the boat on to the stage or platform, walked overboard, and was unfortunately drowned. It appears that while the Donegal was at Lisbon her side ladder was drawn up by night. When this is done it is the duty of some one to fasten a rope across the opening left. On the night in question the rope was omitted to be fastened; hence the loss of the life of a valuable petty officer while attending to the service of his ship.
Th 11 April 1861The screw steamship Centurion, 80. Capt. H.D. Rogers, C.B., the Aboukir, 90, Capt. Douglas Curry, and the Hero, 91, Capt. Alfred P. Ryder, were appointed to leave Hamoaze yesterday afternoon, and go into Plymouth Sound. The Donegal, 101, Capt. Henry Broadhead, will probably follow to-day, and the Conqueror, 101. Capt. Edward S. Sotheby, to-morrow. The ships belonging to the Plymouth division of the Channel Fleet have sent up their lower yards and topmasts. Nearly all arrived at Plymouth on the 20th of December last.
Fr 19 April 1861It appears that the Princess Royal, 91, grounded on the Winter Shoal in Plymouth Sound on Tuesday afternoon, not in endeavouring to go to the westward, but to the northward of that shoal. She should, therefore, have gone nearer to the Citadel before attempting to make for Hamoaze, or else her jib should not have been hoisted. A very few fathoms would have taken her clear of danger. Her rise on the rock was rather understated in The Times of yesterday; instead of one to four feet, it should have been three to five feet - competent authorities say five feet. The diver examined the bottom on Wednesday and brought up a piece of her fore foot, about two feet six inches long; he stated that there are several feet gone. The gunboat Weser having been removed, the Princess Royal is now in No. 3 dock at Keyham Steamyard. However much this accident is to be regretted, it has been the means of bringing under special observation the very efficient condition of that portion of the Channel fleet now at anchor in the Sound. It consists of five screw steamships - viz., the Donegal, 101, Capt. Henry Broadhead, inside the western portion of the breakwater; the Aboukir, 90, Capt. Charles F.A. Shadwell, inside the Camber; the Conqueror, 101, Capt. Edward S. Sotheby, inside both; and the Hero, 91, Capt. Alfred P. Ryder, and the Centurion, 80, Capt. Henry D. Rogers, C.B., yet further in. The officers on duty on board all the ships were apparently watching the Princess Royal. Boats were manned simultaneously. Between the striking of the ship on the rock and the starting of a pinnace from the Donegal with a stream anchor and all appurtenances only four minutes and a half elapsed. Equal activity was manifested by Commander Brown, Master Attendant, and the executive of the Devonport Dockyard, in the despatch of steam tenders and launches. On Wednesday again a boat belonging to the Aboukir was upset in the Sound, but the crew were promptly rescued by assistance from the ships just enumerated.
Ma 22 April 1861When the starboard division of the Channel fleet left Plymouth Sound on Friday afternoon the Hero, 91, took the lead under topsails, topgallant sails, and royals, with jib and flying jib. She was followed by the Centurion, 80, Aboukir, 90, and the Conqueror, 101, which had her studding sails on the port side. The senior ship, the Donegal, 101, Capt. Henry Broadband, was under all plain sail; wind, easterly. Port Admiral Sir Houston Stewart and party witnessed the departure of the ships from the steam tender Avon, in the Sound. They are gone to relieve the homeward bound, and are expected again at Plymouth in the course of a week or 16 days.
Th 2 May 1861The screw steamship. Princess Royal, 91, Capt. Charles Fellowes, flag of Rear-Admiral Robert Smart, K.H., in command of the Channel Squadron, was put out of commission at Devonport on Tuesday, the 30th ult., and on Wednesday the screw steamship Revenge, 91, was commissioned to take her place. The crew will be paid wages and granted leave of absence probably on Saturday. The Revenge was removed yesterday morning from No. 3 Dock in Keyham steamyard, and moored in the basin. The gunboats Trinculo and Gleaner were placed in the dock immediately afterwards.
Sa 18 May 1861The division of the Channel fleet which anchored in St. Helen's Roads, from Portland, on Thursday evening, weighed anchor yesterday morning, the Donegal and Hero proceeding under canvas to Spithead, where they anchored, joining Rear-Admiral Erskine's division lying at that anchorage. The three remaining ships - the Conqueror, Aboukir, and Centurion, stood out to sea, also under canvas, bound for Plymouth Sound.
Sa 22 June 1861The Plymouth division of the Channel fleet, under the command of Rear-Admiral Stuart [should be Smart], consisting of the Revenge (flagship), Aboukir, Conqueror, and Centurion, with the steam tender Porpoise, cast anchor in Leith Heads on Thursday morning shortly after midnight. The division had been nearly three days at the mouth of the Firth of Forth, off the Isle of May, cruising about in expectation of meeting the Spithead division (Admiral Erskine's), consisting of the Edgar (flag), Donegal, Trafalgar, and Hero. Up to Wednesday evening the latter division had not been seen, and Admiral Smart gave the signal to proceed up the Firth. While cruising of the Isle of May the ships' crews were busily exercised in artillery and rifle practice at targets moored for the purpose. All Thursday the Plymouth division lay off the Island Of Inchkeith in Leith Roads, and at noon the several ships fired a royal salute in honour of Her Majesty's accession. In the afternoon the ships were ordered to get up steam for the purpose, it was understood, of proceeding up the Firth to St. Margaret's Hope, where both divisions of the Fleet lay for about a fortnight last summer.
Th 27 June 1861Rear-Admiral Erskine's division of the Channel Fleet, consisting of the Edgar, the Hero, and the Trafalgar, joined Admiral Smart's division, composed of the Revenge, the Aboukir, the Conqueror, and the Centurion, in Leith Roads on Saturday evening. It was expected that they should leave that anchorage early on Wednesday morning to proceed northward by the Moray and Pentland Firths, and subsequentlv visit the north of Ireland, and also, it is said, the Clyde.
Ma 29 July 1861The Channel Fleet are now anchored in the waters of Loughswilly. On Wednesday they sailed majestically up the Lough on the tide in the form of a crescent. The Londonderry Sentinel gives a graphic description of the scene, which I abridge:-
"No sight could be more beautiful. Crowds collected from many points to witness the magnificent spectacle. These seven wooden walls of old England now displayed their graceful lines, their beautiful symmetry, and gayest bunting to the admiration of hundreds, while the waters of the Lough, as if proud of their freight, reflected their spire-like masts, their thousand flags and streamers, and their stately outlines in the glassy waves beneath. Now the ships are off Dunree Fort, on which the red cross of England unfurls its folds to the wind. As each man-of-war passes a salute is fired, and in the intervals the martial strains of the well-trained bands on board each vessel are borne to the shore. The scene was of the most thrilling description, and its interest was not lessened by the fact that this exhibition of the 'pride, pomp, and circumstance' of the maritime greatness of our country was unattended by the more direful accompaniments of 'glorious war.'
"At half-past 4 the fleet were off Buncrana, having arrived in the following order:-
"The Revenge, 91 guns, 800-horse power, Captain Charles Fellows, bearing the flag of Rear-Admiral Smart, senior Admiral of the fleet. The Edgar, 91 guns, 600-horse power, Captain Mends, bearing the flag of Rear-Admiral Erskine (white), second in command. The Conqueror, 101 guns, 200-horse power, Captain Southby, C.B., and Aide-de-Camp to the Queen. The Aboukir, 91 guns, 403-horse power, Captain Shadwell, C.B. The Hero, 91 guns, 600-horse power, Captain Ryder. The Trafalgar, 90 guns, 500-horse power, Captain Dixon. The Centurion, 80 guns, 400-horse power, Captain Rogers, C.B. The Porpoise gunboat, commanded by Lieutenant-Commander John Brasier Creagh, Knight of the Legion of Honour.
"As night set in the shores of lough Swilly were brilliantly lit up with bonfires. The glare brought out the ships into fine relief, affording a spectacle easy to be enjoyed, but difficult to describe. All the inhabitants of Buncrana likewise illuminated their dwellings, and on every side great enthusiasm was witnessed. It was most gratifying to see the cordial reception given by the people of Ennishowen to the fleet, and both officers and men feel much pleased and complimented at the reception they have met with. Perhaps in no other place since they have left Spithead have they received such a hearty welcome, and the short experience had of the members of the fleet gives reason to believe that it will be richly deserved.
"Some idea may be formed of the might and majesty of England's navy, from the fact that these seven vessels carry 636 guns, with crews amounting in number to 6,250 men, being more than the entire population of Strabane The entire horse-power is nominally 4,200, but is equal to double these figures. Three vessels properly belonging to this portion of the fleet are absent on other service - namely, the Donegal, the Diadem, and the Emerald."
This spectacle will produce a profound and lasting impression on the peasantry of Donegal, and the fame of it will spread throughout all the mountains and glens of the west.
Th 8 August 1861The screw steam-ships Revenge, 89, Capt. Charles Fellowes, bearing the flag of Rear-Admiral Robert Smart, K.H.; Conqueror, 99, Capt. Edward S. Sotheby, C.B.; Aboukir, 86, Capt. Charles P. Shadwell; and Centurion, 80, Capt. Henry D. Rogers, C.B., of the Channel Squadron, arrived in Plymouth Sound yesterday afternoon.
We 2 October 1861

Dublin, Monday

Six ships of the Channel Fleet are at Berehaven. The others, namely, the Hero and the Trafalgar, are expected immediately. They experienced very heavy weather at sea during the week, having sustained some damage and lost several of their boats. A correspondent of the Cork Constitution says:-
"I most sincerely hope that a rumour circulated concerning the Hero and the Conqueror is not correct, or that it may prove, at most, an exaggeration of the facts - that when reefing sails 50 of the former and 10 of the latter ship's crew were swept off the yards and found a watery grave. Already the harbour for miles around teems with life, for, independent of the ships' boats gliding along from one to another vessel, or towards the shore with despatches, boats from the town and coast, plied with might and main, swarm around the leviathans, either delivering supplies or soliciting orders. Business is astir, - bakers, grocers, butchers, cabmen, ponies, bumboats, &c., are in requisition. In anticipation of this state of things commercial travellers from Cork and elsewhere have been receiving orders freely for some days past. Our post-office disgorged about 7,000 letters and papers this evening, and received from on board a return supply for circulation through the length and breadth of the land. On former occasions the men of the fleet remitted by post-office orders, to their friends and families, some tens of thousands of pounds. It is expected that business will be done to an equal extent in this way now."
We 9 October 1861Rear Admiral Erskine's division of the Channel fleet, consisting of the Edgar, 89 screw (flagship), Capt. George P. Mends; the Hero, 89, screw, Capt. A.P. Ryder; and the Trafalgar, 86, screw, Capt. J.B. Dickson, arrived at Spithead yesterday morning under steam, and brought up in line on reaching the anchorage. The Edgar discharged her powder and shell yesterday at Spithead, preparatory to going into harbour.
The starboard division of the Channel fleet, under Admiral Smart, which left Ireland eight days previously, and arrived at Plymouth yesterday morning (as reported in our second edition), parted company on Saturday evening with the port division, consisting of the Hero, the Edgar, and the Trafalgar, which are bound for Spithead. They entered the Sound in the following order:- The screw steamship Revenge, 89, Capt. Charles Fellowes, flag of Rear-Admiral Robert Smart, K.H., white at the mizen; the Centurion, 80, Capt. Henry D. Rogers, C.B.; the Conqueror, 99, Capt. Edward S. Sotheby, C.B.; and the Aboukir, 86, Capt. Charles F.A. Shadwell, C.B.
Th 10 October 1861The damage sustained by the Channel Fleet during the late severe storm is estimated at 10,000 l. The Conqueror, Centurion, and Aboukir lost all their quarter boats. The Aboukir rolled excessively. The Hero lost her mainyard. The Trafalgar suffered severely. The Conqueror also lost her three topsails; indeed, so much canvas was blown away that when Admiral Stuart [should be Smart] signalled some of the ships to hoist certain sails, the reply given was "that they had none." It is reported at Plymouth that the Centurion and Aboukir are to be sent to the West Indies. The Revenge was removed yesterday from Plymouth Sound into Hamoaze to be repaired. The Conqueror, Centurion, and Aboukir will follow.
Fr 18 October 1861The screw steamship Conqueror, 99, Capt. Edward S. Sotheby, C.B., one of the Channel Fleet, was placed yesterday afternoon in the Queen's dock at Keyham steam yard for the purpose of overhauling her valves and aperture to discover the cause of the leakage aft.
We 15 January 1862From letters received from the West Indies, dated Jamaica, December 21, by our Chatham correspondent, several important movements on the part of the various vessels of war are announced. The Mersey, 40, 100-horse power, Capt. H. Caldwell, C.B., arrived at Port Royal, on the 13th of December, from Bermuda, and was shortly expected to leave. The Donegal, 99, 800-horse power, Capt. Osborn, C.B., and the Sanspareil, 70, 400-horse power, Capt. Bowyear, arrived from England on the 16th, with part of the Marine battalion, for Mexico, on board. The Himalaya, 700-horse power, Capt. Seccombe, had arrived from Bermuda, and was to leave for Barbadoes and England on the 22d of December. The Conqueror, 101, 800-horse power, Capt. Sotheby,C.B., had arrived out with her Marines, and was to leave for Bermuda about the 24th of December. Her Majesty's paddlewheel steamer Barracouta, 6, Capt. Malcolm, arrived at Jamaica, from England, on the 15th of December. The Sanspareil passed the Cadmus, 21, Captain Hillyar, C.B., near Antigua, standing to the southward, on the 9th. Of December, last from St. Thomas. Her Majesty's screw steamers St. George, 86, Captain the Hon. F. Egerton, and Cygnet, 5, Commander Thrupp, arrived at Port Royal on the 2lst of December, also a small French screw sloop of war. All were well on board these ships.
We 22 January 1862The Conqueror arrived at Port Royal, Jamaica, on the 13th, one month from England, all well onboard, and will proceed to Bermuda. The Donegal and Sanspareil have not yet arrived. The ships in the harbour are the Mersey, the Himalaya, and the Barracouta. The St. George is expected. The crews are all healthy, the weather being very fine.
Ma 27 January 1862


A schooner which has arrived at New York, from Nassau on the 1st inst., reports that the British steamer Conqueror had struck on a rock near Rum Cay. The captain was using every exertion to get her off. The steamer Bulldog had left Nassau to assist her.

Tu 28 January 1862From Nassau (Bahamas) we have advices to the 1st. The Nassau Guardian of that date says :-
"By the arrival to-day of the schooner William H. Bell, Henry Bowe, master, we regret to learn the probable loss of Her Majesty's line-of-battle ship Conqueror, 101 guns, which occurred on Sunday last, she having struck on a sunken rock on the east of Rum Cay, and become embedded five feet on the coral reef. Mr. Miller, an officer of the ill-fated steamer, was despatched in the schooner to Nassau for the purpose of obtaining assistance, and we understand the Bulldog will leave at 5 p.m. to-day for the scene of the disaster. The captain was using every exertion to get the vessel off. The Nimble goes to Bermuda with despatches for the Admiral, and the Steady will remain here for some time. The Conqueror was on her way from Jamaica to Bermuda, and had taken 1,100 marines on board, besides her crew. The marines were transferred to the St. George at Jamaica. We are sorry to hear that there were several cases of yellow fever on board the Challenger when, the Nimble left. The Conqueror is a two-decker screw ship of the line, drawing about 34 feet of water. She is of 800 horse-power, and her speed averaged 10 3/4 knots an hour. She is of 3,224 tons burden, carries 101 guns, and was built in 1855. Her former station was the Mediterranean, and she is one of the vessels recently sent to strengthen the British North American fleet.
We 29 January 1862From Her Majesty's ship Medusa, which left the British Commander-in-Chief on the 5th of January for New York, we learn that the destination of most of the ships on the West India station will be changed in consequence of the pacific tone of the news from Washington. The Mersey, 50, is ordered up to Bermuda; the St. George, 86, carrying His Royal Highness Prince Alfred, is to return home immediately in consequence of the death of the Prince Consort. The Donegal, 100, is to sail for the Gulf of Mexico, to fill the place of the St. George. The Conqueror, 100, will follow in the same direction. The Nile, 90, with the Admiral's flag, was at Bermuda, as well as the Diadem, 32. The Hero, Aboukir, and Emerald, recenly despatched from England, had not yet arrived at Bermuda; in fact, Her Majesty's ship Donegal was the only ship of the Channel fleet which had joined Admiral Milne on the 5th of January.
Fr 31 January 1862Private letters have been received by our Chatham correspondent, from the West Indies, giving some further details respecting the loss of Her Majesty's ship Conqueror, 101, 3,265 tons, 800-horse power, Capt. E. S. Sotheby, C.B. The Conqueror was wrecked on the morning of the 30th of December, on a rock known as the Rum Crag, on her way to Bermuda, from Port Royal, which she had left but a few days. The pinnace of the Conqueror, with some of the officers and crew, arrived at Port Royal, Jamaica, on the 8th inst., when Commodore Dunlop, C.B., immediately despatched the Cygnet, 5, Commander A. T. Thrupp, to render her assistance. The Cadmus, 21, Capt. H.S. Hillyar, C.B., arrived at St. Thomas's on the 7th. inst., all well. The Rinaldo, 17, Commander W.N.W. Hewett, having on board the Confederate commissioners, arrived at St. Thomas's on the 14th inst. The United States sloop of war Iroquois, was also at St. Thomas's on the same date.
Fr 7 February 1862A telegraphic message, dated the 16th of January, has been received at the Admiralty from Vice-Adrniral Sir Alexander Milne, via New York, stating that Her Majesty's ship Conqueror was a total wreck on Rum Cay. The crew are saved and well. Her Majesty's ships Nile, Donegal, Diadem, Bulldog, Spiteful, and Landrail are engaged in recovering the stores.
Sa 1 March 1862According to the Bermuda Royal Gazette, there were at the island, on the 4th of February, the screw steamship Nile, 90, Capt. Barnard, flag of Rear-Admiral Sir Alexander Milne, K.C.B. ; the Hero, 89, Capt. Ryder; the Agamemnon, 89, Capt. Hope; the Aboukir, 86, Capt. Shadwell, C.B. ; the Immortalité, 57, Capt. Hancock; the Diadem, 32, Capt Randolph; the Rinaldo, 17, Commander Hewett; the Terror, 16, Capt. Hutton; the Spiteful, 6, Commander Wilson; the Landrail, 5, Commander Martin; the Nimble, 6, Lieut. D'Arcy; and the gunboats Nettle and Onyx. The Immortalité, from Annapolis, Chesapeake Bay, arrived on the 30th of January, and the Diadem and Landrail from the West Indies on the 1st of February. The last two brought the remainder of the crew of the wrecked ship Conqueror, 90, the bowsprit only of which, is now above water. All the ship's company are berthed on board the hulk Medway, where they will remain until the court-martial, which was appointed to be held on board the Hero on the 6th of February. The crew may arrive in England in March.
Fr 7 March 1862The hired screw steam transport Cleopatra, Captain Croft, from Bermuda on the 19th ult., arrived in Plymouth Sound yesterday afternoon. She brings Capt. Sotheby, C.B., the commander, 30 officers, and 590 men belonging to the Conqueror, 99, which, was wrecked on the 29th of December. The remaining 20 officers and 240 men were to leave on the 1st inst. in the frigate Diadem. A court-martial, over which Capt. Hutton presided, held an inquiry, which was continued for eight days. It terminated on the 15th ult. Capt. Sotheby, Lieuts. St. Clair and Tomkins, and Mr. Hay, a midshipman, were acquitted; Lieut. Gammell, the officer of the watch, was admonished; and Mr. Thain, the master, was reprimanded. The loss was attributed to insufficient allowance for leeway and to a westerly current. There was no efficient night-glass on deck, and a want of promptness in putting the ship about on the appearance of land.
Tu 11 March 1862It was stated, under the head of "naval and military intelligence" in The Times of the 7th inst, that Mr. Thain, the master of the Conqueror, had been reprimanded at the conclusion of the court-martial held on the loss of that vessel. We are requested to state that Mr. Thain has not belonged to the vessel in question for the last 11 months.
Sa 29 March 1862The screw steam frigate Diadem, 32, Capt. Scott, which left Bermuda March 11, arrived in Plymouth Sound on Friday morning. On the 12th of March, in lat. 33 2 N., long. 61 51 W., she took on board the crew of the American brig C.W. Conner, Capt. Joseph Urann, which was bound with a cargo of sundries from Boston for St. Jago. The brig was dismasted on tho 6th of March, and the crew for the previous five days had been living on biscuit only. Moderate weather was experienced during all the passage, excepting on the 21st, when, in lat. 42 45 N., long. 32 29 W., they had a gale of wind from the westward. The Diadem brings home 250 officers and men, the remaining portion of the crew of the Conqueror, lost on Rum Bay Island, in the West Indies, and about 130 invalids, supernumeraries, and passengers, including lieutenant Taylor, 39th Regiment, and Mr. Tucker, late Colonial Aide-de-Camp to the Governor of Bermuda, who is the bearer of the contributions from the island to the Great Exhibition. Mr. Vivian, carpenter of the Terror, died on the 23d, and Peter Kenney, private of Royal Marines, a lunatic, jumped overboard oa the 21st during the gale, and was drowned. The Diadem left at Bermuda the screw steamship Nile, 90, Capt. Edward K. Barnard, flag of Rear-Admiral Sir Alexander Milne, K.C.B.; the screw steamships Aboukir, 86, Capt. Charles F. Shadwell, C.B.; Hero, 89, Capt. Alfred P. Ryder; and Agamemnon, 89; the screw steam frigates Immortalité, 51, Orlando, 50, and Liffey, 51; the screw steam sloop Greyhound, 17; paddlewheel steam sloops Spiteful, 6, and Medea, 6 ; the screw steam sloop Racer, 11; the screw steam gun-vessels Nimble, 5, and Landrail, 5 ; and the floating battery Terror, 16. The screw steamship Adelaide, with troops, arrived at Bermuda March 10. Her fuel was nearly expended.
Ma 21 April 1862Letters have been recently received at Plymouth from the screw steam frigate Termagant, 25, Capt. Robert Hall. The vessel was then at Panama, where the weather was found very oppressive by the officers and crew. She is usually stationed at Coibai, the climate of which is cooler, frequent communication is made between the island and the isthmus. The frigate has on board, for distribution among the Pacific squadron, 135 volunteers, chiefly from among the crew of the Conqueror. The screw steam frigate Melpomene, 51, Capt. J.F. Ewart, one of the North American and West Indian fleet, landed them near Chagres, whence they were conveyed to the shores of the Pacific by train. At the first station four of the seamen deserted, under the impression that there were mines in the immediate vicinity where they could find employment. The paddlewheel steam sloop Devastation, 6, Commander John D. M'Crea, from the southern division of the Pacific squadron, with 100 supernumeraries for ships in the northern division, was daily expected. If there was sufficient accommodation she would receive the Conqueror's volunteers from the Termagant, and convey them to the screw steam frigate Bacchante, 51, Capt. Donald M'L. Mackenzie, flag of Rear-Admiral Sir Thomas Maitland, K.C.B., which was probably at Acapulco.
Tu 29 April 1862


The following Admiralty memorandum, dated the 20th ult., revises the sentence of the court-martial, held at Bermuda, on the captain and officers of Her Majesty's late ship the Conqueror:-
"My Lords Commissioners of the Admiralty have had under their consideration the minutes of the proceedings and the sentence of a court-martial held on board Her Majesty's ship Hero, at Bermuda, on the 8th, and by successive adjournments to the 15th day of February, 1852, for the trial of Captain Edward Southwell Sotheby, C.B., the remaining officers, and ship's company of Her Majesty's late ship Conqueror, for the loss of that ship on the reef on the eastern side of Rum Cay, on the 29th of December, 1861.
"My Lords have read with much surprise a passage in Captain Sotheby's defence, where he observes :-
"'If, after the scrutinizing test that the master's work has undergone, it should be found incorrect; proper allowance not made; or the place of the ship not properly noted in the chart, I maintain, in which opinion, I have no doubt, I shall have the fall concurrence of the members of this Court, that a captain is not supposed to doubt the accuracy of such work, when he can conscientiously place most thorough confidence in the master; and that it is not his duty, under those circumstances, to work the reckoning himself, that officer being appointed for that specific purpose.'
"My Lords cannot dissent in too strong terms from the views expressed by Captain Sotheby. They consider that it is the duty of the captain to take every precaution for the safety of the ship he commands, and that he can only acquit himself of that responsibility which attaches to him by showing that he has neglected no means within his power, of ascertaining the position of the ship, the prevailing currents, and the dangers to which she may be exposed.
"My Lords further regret that Captain Sotheby's views appear to have been accepted by the members of the Court without remark, and to have been so far adopted by them, that while they reprimanded the master, they fully acquitted the captain. My lords cannot concur in the finding of the Court.
"One of Her Majesty's ships, in fine weather and under no unusual circumstance, while making a passage through a channel in which the currents are known to set to leeward with varying strength, has been totally lost in consequence, according to the finding of the Court, of an insufficient allowance for leeway and current. The captain is, nevertheless, fully acquitted, and the master only reprimanded, though no reason is given why the ship should have continued all night on a course which the master acknowledged might carry her within six or seven miles of an island surrounded by dangerous coral reefs.
"It appears to their Lordships that, had the ordinary and natural precaution been adopted of making a tack to the south-east, before the ship could by possibility have been swept upon the coral reefs of Rum Cay, the country would not have had to deplore the loss of one of the finest line-of-battle ships in Her Majesty's service; and my Lords consider Captain Sotheby to have been highly culpable in not having taken that precaution.
"To prevent all future misconception as to the responsibility of captains in command of Her Majesty's ships, my Lords have caused the following additions to be made in the 1st and 2d Articles of Chapter XIX., page 160, of the Queen's Regulations and Admiralty Instructions for the government of Her Majesty's Naval Service. The first Article will commence with the words- 'The captain is responsible for the safe conducting and steering of the ship; and the last paragraph of the second Article will in future stand as follows :- 'If it shall appear that the ship has been run on shore, or brought into danger of being run on shore or wrecked, and that there has been any want of due care or precaution, or that the foregoing orders have been disobeyed, the captain will be held responsible for the same.'
"By command of their Lordships,

Valid HTML 5.0