HMS Turquoise (1876)
HMS Turquoise (1876)

Royal NavyVessels

Browse RN vessels: A; B; C; D; E - F; G - H; I - L; M; N - P; Q - R; S; T - U; V - Z; ??
NameTurquoise (1876)Explanation
Launched22 April 1876
Builders measure 
Displacement2120 tons
Ships book
Snippets concerning this vessels career
14 September 1887Commanded by Captain John William Brackenbury, East Indies
Extracts from the Times newspaper
We 23 September 1885Letters received at the Admiralty from Rear-Admiral Sir F.W. Richards, K.C.B., Commander-in-chief on the East Indies station, up to the 29th ult, state that the Bacchante, flagship, would start from Colombo on the 5th inst. on a cruise and would visit Diego, Garcia, Mauritius, Tamatave, Johanna, Zanzibar, and Seychelles, arriving at Bombay on the 19th of November. The Turquoise was to return to Trincomalee in the course of a few days, and would assume the duties of senior officer’s ship in the Bay of Bengal on the departure of the Bacchante. The Philomel, at Colombo, would leave on the 3d inst. for Bombay and the Persian Gulf. The Briton, at Trincomalee, would leave for Zanzibar about the 5th inst. to assume the duties of senior officer’s ship on the East Coast of Africa. The Woodlark, at Thayetruyo, was to leave on the 25th of August, and return to Rangoon.
Ma 26 October 1885


RANGOON, Oct. 24.

The preparations for war continue. The police garrison the stockades on the British frontier beyond Thayetmyo, while the Goorkha police hold the Aeng Pass, through the Youma mountains, in Arrakan. The Burmese army, under Bandula, crossed the Aeng Pass in the first Burmese war.
The Government steamer Irrawaddy, carrying 20-pounder breech-loaders, Nordenfelts and Gardners, and two steam launches carrying nine-pounders and Gardners, will ascend the Irrawaddy to the frontier on the 26th instant. They are manned by Blue-jackets and Marines from the gunboat Woodlark. The river is now too shallow for the Woodlark to ascend it safely. Directly the Bacchante and Turquoise arrive here (about the 27th instant) eight other armed launches will ascend the river to the frontier.

Sa 30 January 1886Rear-Admiral Sir Frederick W. Richards, K.C.B., Commander-in-Chief of the East India station, in the Bacchante, at Rangoon, up to the 1st inst., supplies the Admiralty with the following movements of Her Majesty’s ships on that station:- The Commander-in-Chief was to leave Rangoon in the Sphinx on the 5th of January, and visit Akyab, Chittagong, and Calcutta, arriving there on the 13th inst. The Turquoise, the Woodlark, and Ranger were at Rangoon, the last-named vessel having arrived at Trincomalee with a draft of supernumeraries from the British India steamer Rena. The Mariner, at Rangoon, would shortly proceed to Moulmein. The Briton, senior officer’s ship, on the East Coast of Africa division, at Zanzibar, on the 29th of December, was placed at the disposal of Col. Kitchener, Boundary Commissioner, to convey him to the various ports on the East Coast if desired. The Dragon, at Mauritius, would return to Zanzibar about the end of January; the Osprey was at Bushire; and the Philomel at Bussorah.

Valid HTML 5.0