HMS Garland (1846)
HMS Garland (1846)

Royal NavyVessels

Browse RN vessels: A; B; C; D; E - F; G - H; I - L; M; N - P; Q - R; S; T - U; V - Z; ??
NameGarland (1846)Explanation
Launched26 February 1846
Builders measure295 tons
Ships book
Snippets concerning this vessels career
17 February 1848
- 22 March 1849
Commanded by Lieutenant Benjamin Aplin, Dover packet, as tender to Ocean
14 March 1849Commanded by Lieutenant Edward Wylde, Dover
Extracts from the Times newspaper
We 4 August 1847The Royal squadron to accompany Her Majesty to Scotland will consist of the Royal yachts Victoria and Albert and Fairy, Captain Lord Adolphus Fitzclarence, G.C.H., the Birkenhead iron steam troopship, Commander Ingram; the Undine steam yacht, Master Commander Allen; the Garland steam vessel, Master Commander Luke Smithett; and, possibly, the Fire Queen steam yacht, Lieutenant Commander Johnston, of the Comet. About the 12th inst. will be the time for leaving Osborne.
Ma 16 August 1847

PLYMOUTH, Friday, 3 p.m.

The City of Limerick Dublin steamer, Captain Moppett, which left Southampton yesterday and arrived here to-day, reported that on going through the Needles at 5 o'clock in the afternoon she met a large fleet of yachts, apparently returning from escorting Her Majesty from the Isle of Wight into the Channel.
This morning, between 4 and 5 o'clock, the Limerick descried the Royal steam squadron to the eastward of Start Point. They appeared to have just come out of Dartmouth Harbour. A large ship with two funnels led the van. She was followed by the Royal yacht Victoria and Albert; behind the Royal yacht on the starboard quarter came the Garland, and on the larboard quarter the Black Eagle, The Undine was in the rear of the Garland, and the Fairy followed the Black Eagle. The City of Limerick, with the Company's flag at the main, Ensign aft, and Union Jack at her bow, duly honoured the Royal squadron as she passed under the stern of the Garland and Black Eagle, off Prawl Point, a little after 5 o'clock. There was very little wind. The squadron was at full speed — say, 11 to 12 knots, and steaming a course W. by N., which would bring them abreast of the Lizard. About 6 the Garland put on extra steam, detached herself from the squadron, and steered a more northerly course.
Towards 7 o'clock the squadron was descried from the Breakwater Lighthouse several miles outside the Eddystone, steering for the Lizard. The Royal yacht was a-head, closely followed by the Fairy and Black Eagle. They had outrun the Shearwater and Undine, which were four or five miles astern.
The probability is that Her Majesty will pass Falmouth and proceed direct for Milford Haven, and thus keep her engagements in the St. George's Channel.
Tu 21 September 1847

ARDRISHAIG, Saturday Evening.

At 6 o'clock this morning Her Majesty, Prince Albert, the Royal children, and suite, left Fort William in the Victoria and Albert yacht for Crinan. The yacht was accompanied by the Scourge, Garland, and the Fairy. Meanwhile, the Black Eagle and the Undine had doubled the Mull of Cantyre for the purpose of receiving the Royal party at the eastern terminus of the canal in Lochfine. The wind was rather high, but nevertheless the passage was an easy one, excepting off Easdale, when the Royal vessels rolled rather uncomfortably from the swell of the Atlantic. The fleet reached Crinan Bay a little before 10 o'clock, when Her Majesty immediately landed in an open boat, and was received by Sir John Orde of Kilmory, Mr. Malcolm of Poltalloch, Mr. Campbell of Auchendarroch, and escorted by them to the Sunbeam royal barge, which was in readiness in the canal. The passage was performed in two hours. Her Majesty's reception at Ardrishaig was enthusiastic; but there was a great falling off in numbers as compared with the period when the Royal party pursued the same route westward. At the terminus of the canal Her Majesty, Prince Albert, and the Royal children entered a close carriage, and drove down at a walking pace to the quay, off which lay the Black Eagle and Undine. The weather in the morning had been fair, but blowy; but a little before Her Majesty's arrival rain commenced, and fell heavily during the whole period of the embarkation. Indeed, after the arrival of the canal yacht at Ardrishaig, the Queen remained in it nearly half an hour, in the hope that the rain might abate after a passing shower, but as the elements showed no symptoms of mitigating their wrath, it was not deemed expedient longer to delay the departure.
Her Majesty appeared somewhat chilled, and from this reverse in the weather the Queen's departure from Scottish ground took place under rather uncomfortable circumstances. She was enveloped in a gray cloak and hood, and in walking along the quay to the boat Prince Albert shielded Her Majesty from the pelting rain by holding an umbrella over the Royal head. The Royal party was rowed about 200 yards to the Black Eagle, in which Her Majesty and suite, consisting, among others, of the Duke and Duchess of Norfolk, Lord Palmerston, Mr. Anson, &c., embarked, and set sail down the loch at 1 o'clock for Campbelton Bay, the point of rendezvous for the whole squadron. The Black Eagle would reach the bay about 6 o'clock, and as soon as she was joined by the Victoria and Albert it was intended that Her Majesty should proceed on board of that vessel and pass the night.
At 5 o'clock on Sunday the fleet leaves Campbelton Bay for Fleetwood, which will be reached about 6 the same evening. There the Queen will remain at anchor, sleeping on board the yacht.
Ma 27 September 1847


The Undine steam yacht, Mr. G. Allen, Master Commanding (acting); the Garland steam-packet, Master Commanding Luke Smithett (acting); and the Fairy steam-tender to the Royal Yacht, arrived last night from Fleetwood.
Ma 15 November 1847


An accident haying occurred on the Dover packet station, by which the Garland steam vessel, Mr. Luke Smithett, Master Commanding, has been disabled, having been run into, the Undine steam yacht, Master Commanding George Allen, was ordered from this port to supply her place pro tem., and sailed yesterday at noon accordingly.
Th 15 September 1853

WOOLWICH. Sept 14.

The Cyclops steam frigate, in charge of Mr. Alexander Pope, assistant to the master attendant at Sheerness Dockyard, left Woolwich in the forenoon of to-day, with the boilers and engines of the Nile, for Devonport.
The Admiralty have decided on discontinuing the Dover mail packet service, and that the mails between England and France shall be carried in future by contract steam-vessels. The present Dover mail steam-packets are — the Garland, Lieutenant-Commander Edward Wylde; the Onyx, Acting Second Master E.C. Rutter; the Princess Alice, Acting Second Master John Warman; the Violet, Lieutenant-Commander Henry P. Jones; the Vivid, Acting Master Luke Smithett; and the Undine, Acting Second Master Edmund Lyne, all paddle wheel steamers. Four of these vessels it is contemplated to dispose of, and reserve two for further service as tenders at some of the naval ports. It is also said that Captain Smithett will be appointed to the command of the Black Eagle, Admiralty steam-yacht, at Woolwich; in that case her present commander, Mr. John E. Petley, will, in all probability, be appointed Superintendent of the Compass Department, which has not been filled up since the death of Captain Johnson.

Valid HTML 5.0