HMS Conway (launched as Nile, 1839)
HMS Conway (launched as Nile, 1839)


The Royal Navy

Browse RN vessels: A; B; C; D; E - F; G - H; I - L; M; N - P; Q - R; S; T - U; V - Z; ??
NameConway (launched as Nile, 1839)Explanation
TypeSecond rate TypeTwo-decker
Launched28 June 1839 Converted to screw30 January 1854
HullWooden Length206 feet
PropulsionSail Men850
Builders measure2598 tons Builders measure (as screw)2598 tons
Displacement  Displacement (as screw)4375 tons
Guns90 Guns (as screw)91
Fate1956 Last in commission1864
Class  Class (as screw)Rodney
Ships book   
Snippets concerning career prior to conversion
DateEvent
28 June 1839Launched as 2nd rate sailing ship at Plymouth Dockyard
January 1840Out of commission at Plymouth
Career as unarmoured wooden screw vessel
DateEvent
30 January 1854Undocked as screw at Devonport Dockyard
25 February 1854
- 17 July 1854
Commanded by Commodore Henry Byam Martin, Western (Channel) squadron, then (May) the Baltic during the Russian War
17 July 1854
- 20 April 1857
Commanded (until paying off at Plymouth) by Captain George Rodney Mundy, the Baltic during the Russian War, then West Indies
1 March 1858
- 7 December 1858
Commanded by Captain Henry Chads, flagship of Rear-Admiral Henry Ducie Chads, Queenstown
7 December 1858
- 31 December 1859
Commanded by Captain Arthur Parry Eardley-Wilmot, flagship of Rear-Admiral Charles Talbot, Queenstown (replaced by Sans Pareil)
31 December 1859
- 23 April 1864
Commanded by Captain Edward King Barnard, flagship of Rear-Admiral Alexander Milne, North America and West Indies
24 July 1876Renamed Conway, training ship, off Rock Ferry, Liverpool (on loan to Mercantile Marine Service Association) replacing 4th rate sailing ship Winchester (1822-1921) which had swapped names with the original Conway (6th rate sailing ship 1832-1871) in 1861 and which was renamed Mount Edgcumbe in 1876
18??Commanded by Captain Edward Bond Harrison Franklin, training ship
(1890)Lent to Mercantile Marine Association, Liverpool for the purpose of Training Young Gentlemen as officers in the Merchant Service
(1914)Lent to the Mercantile Marine Service Association, Liverpool
1941Moved to near Bangor to avoid airraid risk
1945Moved to Plas Newydd, Angelsey
14 April 1953Stranded in Menai Strait when under tow for refit at Birkenhead
31 October 1956Accidentally burnt during breaking up


Top↑
Valid HTML 5.0