* The Mid-Victorian Royal Navy * William Loney R.N. * Fun * * Search this site * 
HMS Boscawen (1844)

The Royal Navy Browse mid-Victorian RN vessels: A; B; C; D; E - F; G - H; I - L; M; N - P; Q - R; S; T - U; V - Z; ??

Type3rd rate   
Launched3 April 1844
Builders measure2212 tons
Ships book
Note1874 = Wellesley, t.s.
1914.03 damaged by fire in Tyne and broken up
Snippets concerning this vessels career
7 January 1851Commanded by Captain Peter Richards, guard ship of Ordinary, Chatham
25 November 1853Commanded by Captain William Fanshawe Glanville, flagship of Rear-Admiral Arthur Fanshawe, North America and West Indies, and the Baltic during the Russian War
1 May 1857Commanded by Captain Richard Ashmore Powell, flagship of Rear-Admiral Frederick William Grey, Cape of Good Hope
5 March 1862
- 21 April 1862
Commanded by Commander Frederick Thomas Chetham Strode, training ship, Southampton Water
21 April 1862Commanded by Commander Hubert Campion, training ship, Southampton Water
1 September 1863
- 14 July 1865
Commanded by Commander George Strong Nares, training ship, Southampton Water
14 July 1865
- 11 October 1867
Commanded by Commander McLeod Baynes Cockcraft, training ship
14 October 1867Commanded by Commander Henry Fairfax, training ship, Portland
(10 August 1872)
- 21 February 1873
Commanded by Commander Marcus Augustus Stanley Hare, training ship, Portland
1874Renamed Wellesley
Extracts from the Times newspaper
Sa 17 September 1870A portion of the Channel Fleet arrived in the Portland Roads at noon on Thursday. The squadron consisted of the following armour-plated ships Agincourt (Admiral Shadd [should be Chads]), Minotaur (bearing the flag of Vice-Admiral Yelverton), Northumberland, Warrior, and Hercules. These ships have just returned from their cruise on the coast of Spain. On rounding the Breakwater they were greeted with the usual salute from the training ship Boscawen, stationed at Portland. The fleet left Vigo on Saturday afternoon last, and had a very good voyage, though strong head winds prevailed up to Tuesday. On that day, when about 50 miles off Ushant, they met with the despatch boat Helicon, bringing letters and despatches. As might be expected, the most acute sorrow is felt throughout the fleet for the fate of comrades in the Captain. The men have neglected their wonted amusements and recreations, and it was not until Tuesday that the performances of the ships' bands were resumed. After the lamentable occurrence, Admiral Milne signalled to the different ships inquiring if the officers and men would devote a day's pay to the relief of the widows and orphans of the poor fellows who had perished on the disastrous morning of the 7th. The reply was hearty and unanimous, as might have been expected from British sailors. It is the general opinion of the fleet that the sails of the Captain should not have been set during the squally weather that prevailed when she met her sad end. It is stated that the sea was not exceedingly rough, and that several ships scarcely rolled at all. When the discovery was made that the Captain was missing, not the least apprehension was entertained that she had foundered, the supposition being that she had been able to run before the wind and would eventually rejoin the squadron. It could hardly be surmised that so gallant a craft could succumb to a gale of wind, and the fact was not realized until after the Warrior fell in with portions of wreck. Hope was not altogether abandoned until the Psyche signalled off Vigo that she had picked up two of the Captain's cutters, bottom upwards. The disaster is painfully recalled to us by the arrival at Weymouth of large piles of letters and papers for the officers and crew of the Captain. These have necessarily been forwarded to the Dead Letter-office.

Valid HTML 5.0