HMS Diamond (1874)
HMS Diamond (1874)


The Royal Navy

Browse RN vessels: A; B; C; D; E - F; G - H; I - L; M; N - P; Q - R; S; T - U; V - Z; ??
NameDiamond (1874)Explanation
TypeCorvette   
Launched26 September 1874   
HullWooden Length220 feet
PropulsionScrew Men225
Builders measure1405 tons   
Displacement1970 tons   
Guns14   
Fate1889 Last in commission1889
ClassAmethyst Class (as screw)Amethyst
Ships book   
Career
DateEvent
26 September 1874Launched at Sheerness Dockyard.
13 July 1875
- 7 January 1879
Commanded (from commissioning at Sheerness until paying off at Sheerness) by Captain George Stanley Bosanquet, East Indies
25 October 1881
- 14 January 1885
Commanded (from commissioning at Sheerness) by Captain Alfred Taylor Dale, Australia
14 January 1885
- 6 March 1889
Commanded (from commissioning at Sydney until paying off at Sheerness) by Captain Francis Starkie Clayton, Australia
August 1889Sold.
Extracts from the Times newspaper
DateExtract
Th 21 August 1873Three vessels have recently been added to the Royal Navy, and there are at present 25 others in course of construction at the various Government yards and by private firms. The vessels just completed are the Fantome, composite screw sloop of 4 guns, 891 (727) tons, and 720 (120) horse-power engines, which has been constructed at Pembroke; two 14 gun screw corvettes, of 1,890 (1,405) tons and 2,149 (350) horse-power engines each, named the Amethyst and Modeste, both of which have been completed at Devonport. Six new vessels have just been ordered to be commenced, and the necessary preparations for their construction have in some cases been commenced. The new vessels are to include a 14 gun screw-corvette, of 1,405 tons old measurement and 350 nominal horse-power engines, to be named the Diamond, and ordered to be built at Sheerness; a 14 gun iron screw corvette, cased with wood, with a covered battery, of 3,903 tons and 5,230 indicated horse-power engines, to be constructed on No. 5 Slip at Chatham, and to be named the Euryalus; a 14 gun screw corvette, of 1,405 tons and 350 nominal horse-power engines, to be named the Sapphire, and ordered to be built at Devonport; the Temeraire, a screw iron armour-plated ship to carry eight guns, of 8,415 tons and 7,000 indicated horse-power engines, to be constructed at Chatham; and the Vesuvius, a double screw iron torpedo vessel, of 241 tons and 350 indicated horse-power engines, ordered to be built at Pembroke.


Top↑
Valid HTML 5.0