HMS Briton (1869)
HMS Briton (1869)

Royal NavyVessels

Browse RN vessels: A; B; C; D; E - F; G - H; I - L; M; N - P; Q - R; S; T - U; V - Z; ??
NameBriton (1869)Explanation
Launched6 November 1869   
HullWooden Length220 feet
PropulsionScrew Men220
Builders measure1331 tons   
Displacement1831 tons   
Fate1887 Last in commission1887
Ships bookADM 135/65   
6 November 1869Launched at Sheerness Dockyard.
28 November 1871
- 4 October 1872
Commanded (from commissioning at Sheerness) by Captain Charles Trelawney Jago, East Indies and Persian Gulf (until Jago invalided)
4 October 1872
- 24 October 1873
Commanded by Captain George John Malcolm, East Indies (including Frere mission to Zanzibar)
24 October 1873
- 12 April 1876
Commanded (until paying off at Plymouth) by Captain Lindesay Brine, East Indes
29 March 1881
- 21 March 1884
Commanded (from commissioning at Plymouth) by Captain Andrew James Kennedy, Cape of Good Hope
21 March 1884
- 14 July 1887
Commanded (until paying off at Bombay) by Captain Rodney Maclaine Lloyd, East Indies (and Sudan campaign)
1887Sold at Bombay.
Extracts from the Times newspaper
We 23 September 1885Letters received at the Admiralty from Rear-Admiral Sir F.W. Richards, K.C.B., Commander-in-chief on the East Indies station, up to the 29th ult, state that the Bacchante, flagship, would start from Colombo on the 5th inst. on a cruise and would visit Diego, Garcia, Mauritius, Tamatave, Johanna, Zanzibar, and Seychelles, arriving at Bombay on the 19th of November. The Turquoise was to return to Trincomalee in the course of a few days, and would assume the duties of senior officer’s ship in the Bay of Bengal on the departure of the Bacchante. The Philomel, at Colombo, would leave on the 3d inst. for Bombay and the Persian Gulf. The Briton, at Trincomalee, would leave for Zanzibar about the 5th inst. to assume the duties of senior officer’s ship on the East Coast of Africa. The Woodlark, at Thayetruyo, was to leave on the 25th of August, and return to Rangoon.
Sa 30 January 1886Rear-Admiral Sir Frederick W. Richards, K.C.B., Commander-in-Chief of the East India station, in the Bacchante, at Rangoon, up to the 1st inst., supplies the Admiralty with the following movements of Her Majesty’s ships on that station:- The Commander-in-Chief was to leave Rangoon in the Sphinx on the 5th of January, and visit Akyab, Chittagong, and Calcutta, arriving there on the 13th inst. The Turquoise, the Woodlark, and Ranger were at Rangoon, the last-named vessel having arrived at Trincomalee with a draft of supernumeraries from the British India steamer Rena. The Mariner, at Rangoon, would shortly proceed to Moulmein. The Briton, senior officer’s ship, on the East Coast of Africa division, at Zanzibar, on the 29th of December, was placed at the disposal of Col. Kitchener, Boundary Commissioner, to convey him to the various ports on the East Coast if desired. The Dragon, at Mauritius, would return to Zanzibar about the end of January; the Osprey was at Bushire; and the Philomel at Bussorah.

Valid HTML 5.0