Royal Navy obituary in the Times newspaper
Royal Navy obituary in the Times newspaper

Royal NavyObituaries

The following obituary for George Hancock appeared in the Times newspaper.

Obituary in the Times newspaper
26 September 1876 Rear-Admiral George Hancock, who only arrived in England a few weeks ago, having been obliged, in consequence of chronic gout, to relinquish to Rear-Admiral de Horsey the command of the Pacific Station, died on the 20th inst. at Weymouth-street, Portland-place. The Admiral, who was in his 57th year, entered the Navy in Match, 1834, and was promoted to the rank of lieutenant ten years afterwards as a reward for having passed the best examination at the Portsmouth Royal Naval College. He owed his next step in rank to the gallantry which he displayed in destroying a number of piratical junks in China. He served in the Espiègle in the West Indies, and was promoted to post rank for the great tact he displayed in the delicate services he rendered in connexion with the Darien Surveying ExpeditionExternal link in 1855; and subsequently commanded the Immortalité, also on the North American and West Indian station, during the Civil War in America, under the command of Vice-Admiral Sir Alexander Milne, K.C.B., whose approbation he secured by his conduct in connexion with the "Trent affair." He afterwards commanded the Trafalgar and Duncan, Coastguard ships, at Queensferry, and the Duke of Wellington at Portsmouth. He again commanded the Duke of Wellington at the same port when bearing the flag of Admiral Sir James Hope, G.C.B. He attained flag rank October, 1872; served as second in command of the Channel Squadron, 1873-1875, in the Northumberland, and hoisted his flag as Commander-in-Chief of the Pacific on the 15th of April, 1876, from which station he was compelled to invalid, landing at Southampton in August last. By the death of Rear-Admiral Hancock, Capt. Charles Wake attains flag rank, and Capt. Sir John Edmund Commerell, K.C.B., V.C., becomes Captain of the Fleet. A captain's good service pension of £150 also becomes vacant. The remains of the deceased arrived yesterday morning at Portsmouth and were conveyed to Ryde. where they will be interred.

Valid HTML 5.0